Communications Director (July 2016)
Policy Matters Ohio, a think tank dedicated to creating a more vibrant, equitable, sustainable and inclusive Ohio, seeks a talented, motivated person to lead our media and communications work. The full-time position in Cleveland requires excellent writing and editing skills, experience with media, and willingness to work in a collegial, fast-paced, mission-driven environment.
Writing and Editing
- Edit to ensure work is highly readable, easily understandable, compelling and persuasive.
- Write website content, social media content, and related materials.
- Manage media, build reporter relationships, pitch stories, coordinate interview requests.
- Write press releases, press advisories, statements, op-eds, and letters.
- Prepare staff for interviews; provide feedback to develop their skills.
- Organize press events, conferences, and calls; coordinate releases, track media coverage.
- Create and implement communication plan to shape policy debate by releasing research, reacting to breaking news, and strategically seeking media opportunities.
- Develop messaging guidance that shapes how we write and speak about policy.
- Coordinate a consistent organizational identity in external communications.
- Maintain Policy Matters’ website, ensuring content is accessible, timely, and well-organized; work to increase site traffic.
- Communicate with e-mail list regularly, expand list.
- Manage and grow our social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, and elsewhere.
- Dedication to the mission of Policy Matters Ohio.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or a related field.
- Minimum of five years experience in communications, journalism, or a related field.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; ability to simplify complex information.
- Strong, demonstrable interest in current events, news, and public policy.
- Self-motivation, creativity, drive, compatibility, flexibility, passion for social justice.
- Deep understanding of the power of effective messaging in shaping public debate.
We are an equal opportunity employer, we seek to maintain staff diversity with each hire.
Position based in Cleveland. Air and car travel required. Must have driver’s license.
Salary commensurate with experience, education, and ability.
E-mail cover letter, resume and two short writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make the subject line “Communications Director Application”, paste cover letter into e-mail and include other items as one attachment. Initial deadline August 5. Resumes accepted until job filled.