Posted April 16, 2012 in Press ReleasesEditorial
"Ohio's unemployment rate has fallen in recent months, but too many working families still struggle to make ends meet," begins this editorial in the Toledo Blade, which finds our research on a state earned income tax "intriguing" and potentially helpful.
Last year, Policy Matters Ohio points out, the 21 percent cut in state income taxes phased in over the past several years benefited the top 1 percent of earners more than the bottom 99 percent. Only the top 30 percent of Ohio earners are paid more now than they were in 1979, taking inflation into account, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics says. For the other 70 percent, wages have fallen.
And even though Ohio’s tax rate is higher for earners in the top 1 percent, they still pay a lower percentage of their earnings in state and local taxes