Posted November 13, 2018
Policy Matters Ohio, a think tank dedicated to creating a more vibrant, equitable, sustainable and inclusive Ohio, seeks a Budget Researcher to do research, coalition building and advocacy. This position focuses on the state budget, particularly human services and other issues affecting struggling Ohio families. The full-time position in our Columbus office requires excellent quantitative, policy research, writing and presentation skills; passion for policy improvements; and willingness to work in a small nimble environment.
* Design and conduct research on budgets, policies, and programs
* Monitor news, literature and policy process related to our research areas
* Write both short and in-depth pieces; design infographics; share work on social media
* Speak to reporters, develop relationships with media alongside communications staff
* Testify to legislature, meet with policymakers and their staff
* Write and deliver speeches to community organizations, allies, classes and others
* Collaborate with partners to make research relevant
* Represent Policy Matters in legislative and other meetings and at public events
* Assist in garnering funds for and designing future projects, in collaboration with colleagues
* Work collaboratively with colleagues, accept oversight graciously
* Excellent research skills: gathering, analyzing and describing data with a variety of tools
* Clear, concise, jargon-free writing style
* Strong, compelling, conversational presentation skills
* Excellent quantitative skills including budget analysis
* Experience working with labor, anti-poverty advocacy, or other social movements
* Demonstrated interest in news and policy-making process
* Other optional skills that would be an asset: mapping (Tableau), journalism, or survey skills
* BA and master’s degree required (Policy, Sociology, Economics, Political Science or related)
* Some post-collegiate work experience preferred
* Self-motivation, creativity, drive, compatibility, flexibility, passion for social justice
We are an equal opportunity employer, we seek to create and maintain a diverse staff.
Position in Columbus (non-negotiable). Air and car travel required, must have driver’s license.
Salary $45,000-$58,000, commensurate with experience, education, and ability. We provide health, life, dental, and vision insurance and 403-b retirement plan.
IMPORTANT: E-mail cover letter, resume, 1 writing sample to email@example.com. Subject line should be “Budget Researcher Application.” Paste cover letter into e-mail. Also provide cover letter, resume and writing sample (4 pp or less) as one attachment. No calls. Applicants will be informed when position is filled.
1 of 22