« back to jobs listing
Posted February 28, 2023
Who we are
Policy Matters is a non-profit policy research institute creating a more vibrant, equitable, sustainable and inclusive Ohio through research, strategic communications, coalition building and policy advocacy. Our analysis is evidence-based. Our research is data and values driven.
Policy Matters Ohio is seeking a Communications Associate to produce high-quality social media content based on Policy Matters Ohio’s research and provide support to our communications director.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. All qualified candidates will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other class status.
What you’ll do
Policy Matters Ohio’s Communications Associate executes communications strategies to meet organizational goals, collaborating with the Communications Director, Outreach Director and researchers to plan releases, develop campaigns and create content. In consultation with the Communications Director and Executive Director, the Associate is also responsible for developing the organization’s strategy and presence across social media platforms.
This full-time position in our Cleveland office reports to the Communications Director. The position requires excellent writing and editing skills; the ability to distill complex policy research into accessible, shareable content; command of industry-standard design software; passion for policy improvements and willingness to collaborate.
Social media communications:
- Use strategic communications to create visibility for the organization, its products, and mission across social media platforms. This includes staying abreast of new platforms, tactics, and methods that support visibility and engagement.
- Use best practices for growing and engaging audiences on social media.
- Create content for and manage social media channels.
- Develop social media kits to promote releases.
- Develop relationships with relevant influencers.
- Educate and support research staff in new platforms and social media tactics.
- Participate with partners in coordinated social media campaigns.
- Work with Communications Director, Development Director and Outreach Director to target social media outreach to partners and potential partners.
- Work with Communications Director, Development Director and Outreach Director to grow subscriber list.
- Identify and implement best practices for increasing email audience via social media and website signups.
- Design and create visually appealing digital and print content, including infographics, collateral, fundraising appeals, one- /two-pagers.
- Design and format policy papers, quarterly reports, annual reports.
- Manage content on the organization’s website.
- Use best practices for search engine optimization.
- Copy-edit and/or proofread releases as needed.
- Support communications functions related to organizational events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1-2 years of relevant experience preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field preferred but not necessary.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Facility with Adobe Creative Cloud software (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop); Microsoft SharePoint and Office Suite. Ability to learn new software relatively quickly.
- Self-motivation, creativity, drive, adaptability.
- Dedication to the mission of Policy Matters Ohio.
- Policy Matters Ohio staff are represented by Workers United, an SEIU affiliate. This is a bargaining unit position.
- Reports to the Communications Director.
- Some travel within and out of the state.
- Salary negotiable and dependent on experience, $45,000-$55,000 commensurate with experience, education, and demonstrated ability, with health, dental, vision, and generous retirement contribution available.
Send your cover letter, resumé, and a short writing sample as one pdf attachment to email@example.com. Subject line should be “Communications Associate Application.”
Position will remain open until filled.
No calls, please.