« back to jobs listing
Policy Matters Ohio seeks executive director
Posted November 08, 2019
Policy Matters Ohio seeks a dynamic leader and strong manager to lead us into our third decade of fighting for a more vibrant, equitable, sustainable and inclusive Ohio. Our new Executive Director must have excellent understanding of policy, strong ability to review and supervise research, experience with fundraising, a proven record of leadership and management, and passion for creating a more vibrant, equitable, sustainable and inclusive Ohio. The new leader must bring respect for and desire to work with social justice movements and advocates in labor, race and gender equity, criminal justice reform, climate, community organizing and other areas that make up the infrastructure needed to transform Ohio public policy. We seek someone passionate in conviction and collaborative in style.
The next leader must have a supportive and inclusive management style, a deep understanding of public policy, solid fundraising skills, and phenomenal written and oral ability to describe complex policy problems and inspire audiences to rally around progressive solutions.
About Policy Matters
Founded in 2000 by a coalition of community, labor, business, academic and philanthropic leaders, Policy Matters produces unassailable research, tracks more than 1,000 news stories covering our work each year, and maintains a fast-paced, driven style. After two decades, the group now has two offices, staffed by 14 dedicated professionals. Our diverse board and staff include some of Ohio’s most visionary advocates for an economy that works for everyone.
Our work falls into four major areas:
- A fair economy: Good jobs, worker rights, smart training and opportunity for all
- A quality Ohio: Adequate and fair taxes to support the schools, neighborhoods, communities and infrastructure we all need
- Sustainable communities: Investment in transit, renewable energy, conservation and other smart solutions that create jobs and green our economy
- Pathways out of poverty: Reasonable regulations to help families earn and save, build assets, and create a better future for themselves and their children
Our work takes four major forms:
- Research: We produce over 100 reports, blog posts, briefs and testimonies each year, each of which is well-written, carefully researched, concise and clear in its findings.
- Communications: We have a growing television presence and generate more than 1,000 news stories each year, in Ohio and around the world. Our research shapes a narrative about how the economy can work better for everyone.
- Coalition-building: The people’s think tank, the workers’ think tank and the planet’s think tank in one of America’s most important swing states, we support social movements of all kinds and build coalitions to amplify the case for racial, economic, social and gender justice, worker rights, criminal justice reform, environmental sustainability, strong safety nets, and good jobs.
- Advocacy: Within the structure of a 501(c)(3) organization, Policy Matters testifies, meets with policy makers, and advocates policy solutions to transform Ohio.
Alongside board and staff, the Executive Director provides vision, direction, leadership, passion and management, working out of our Cleveland office. Key responsibilities include:
- Using existing strategic plan, develop long-term strategies and short-term goals, plans and activities to achieve our mission
- Manage and nurture our creative, highly motivated staff
- Set broad research priorities, alongside research staff
- Ensure financial health by raising resources, cultivating donors, maintaining relationships with funders, and ensuring staff meets grant obligations
- Speak publicly to live audiences, television, radio and community gatherings
- Maintain and build strong relationships with new and existing partners
- Ensure compliance with laws, regulations, and contracts for a 501(c)(3)
Experience and Attributes
- Excellent understanding of and commitment to Ohio
- Record of management and leadership to support organizational growth, nurture a talented staff, and foster collaboration
- Strong fundraiser with proven record raising funds from foundations
- Excellent, persuasive oral and written communications skills,
- Strong analytical skills and deep appreciation for how policy around taxes, budget, labor markets, regulation, investment, criminal justice and more affect people’s lives
- Diplomacy, consensus building, emotional intelligence, listening skills, personal skills
- Commitment to racial equity and inclusion
- Strong relationships with policymakers, advocates, journalists and others in Ohio
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred (law/policy/economics/related)
Salary range: $100,000 to $130,000
To apply: By 12/1/19, e-mail cover letter, resume, and one editorial length writing sample (under 1,000 words) to Jobs@policymattersohio.org;
Combine these items into one PDF titled: LastnameFirstnameEDApp (ie: JonesTracyEDApp);
E-mail subject should be Policy Matters Executive Director
All applicants will be informed when job is filled. No calls please.
Policy Matters is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on any basis. We welcome applications from leaders of all race, gender, veteran and disability categories.