« back to jobs listing
Senior Policy Researcher
Posted February 28, 2023
Who we are
Policy Matters is a non-profit policy research institute creating a more vibrant, equitable, sustainable and inclusive Ohio through research, strategic communications, coalition building and policy advocacy. Our analysis is evidence-based. Our research is data- and values-driven.
Policy Matters Ohio is seeking an experienced researcher to produce unassailable research on policy that improves the lives of Ohioans.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. All qualified candidates will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other class status.
What you’ll do:
- Produce high-impact, high-quality research and policy analysis that builds a more equitable, inclusive, sustainable and vibrant Ohio.
- Explain your findings to the public by writing and working with communications staff to write op-eds, infographics and similar materials.
- Work with outreach and engagement staff to engage a broad and diverse community of stakeholders. This may include public speaking, public testimony, participation and leadership in coalitions and with partners, media interviews and social media communication, and participating in policy events and conferences.
- Collaborate with Policy Matters Ohio leadership to ensure alignment with the organization’s mission, vision, and values in developing policy priorities and research products, and complete other work as assigned.
- Ensure the organization’s sustainability by assisting the leadership and development team as needed, including cultivating relationships with funders and supporters.
- Produce novel research using a gender, race, ability and class lens.
- Support fellow researchers as a thought partner and mentor on research methodology, research question development, and issue prioritization on budget and tax policy.
- Work collaboratively and efficiently across teams and partnerships to advance the Policy Matters mission.
- Support a work culture that is adaptable, open to change and experimentation, while being committed to growth and accountability.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
The ideal candidate will have experience in producing substantive policy research on issues related to the state budget and/or tax system. Expertise in post-secondary education, health, local government, or development policy is a significant plus.
The ideal candidate will have significant technical expertise and experience and will be expected to work with an increased level of independence and initiative. Requires significant participation in securing funding and leadership for the research team.
- Excellent project management skills with experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with particular attention to producing accurate policy research.
- Knowledge of or experience in the use of an intersectional equity analysis to address barriers to opportunity, and anti-racist policy strategies.
- Ability to work efficiently and collaboratively with others.
- Ability to be flexible and creative.
- Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines and identify emerging policy challenges and opportunities.
- Self-motivation and a passion for building a more equitable, inclusive, and just Ohio.
- Advanced degree or professional degree in related field is preferred.
- At least five years of experience in policy research is preferred.
- Policy Matters staff are represented by Workers United, an SEIU affiliate. This is a bargaining unit position.
- Reports to the Research Director and Executive Director.
- Based in Cleveland or Columbus, Ohio.
- Some travel within and out of the state.
- Salary range $60,000-$70,000 with health, dental, vision, and generous retirement contribution available.
Provide cover letter, resume and writing sample as one pdf attachment and send the packet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject line should be “Senior Researcher Application.”
No calls, please.
Applicants will be informed when the position is filled.