« back to internships list
Research Intern (Columbus Office)
- Conduct research on issues impacting Ohio families, especially tax and budget, work and wages, public services, infrastructure, sustainability, education or asset building.
- Access public data and policies, work with datasets, assess policy outcomes.
- Write blog posts and/or co-write reports under staff guidance.
All interns will participate enthusiastically in a collaborative, mission-oriented, friendly workplace.
- Desire to explore and elevate public policy solutions that better serve working families.
- Devotion to creating a more equitable economy.
- High standards and attention to detail.
- Ability to write on research topics effectively.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Comfortable computing basic statistics.
- Minimum of 24 hours per week in the summer, 12 hours per week during the school year.
- On site in our Columbus office during regular business hours: M-F 9am-5pm.
- Ability to work independently and take initiativ.
- Current undergrad or graduate student, or degree holder.
Useful, but not required skills
- Experience in policy analysis and policy research;.
- Coursework in political science, government, economics, or statistics.
- Experience with statistical programs, web design, or other specialized software.
- Desire to learn about or work in the nonprofit sector.
- We are an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities strongly encouraged to apply.
Being a Policy Matters intern is a great way to:
- Do substantive, interesting work in one or more policy areas, including tax and budget, economics, consumer protection, asset building, education, green energy.
- Learn how a policy research institute operates.
- Help produce high-quality research, provide support for our fundraising efforts, and/or assist in maximizing the effectiveness of our organization’s communications.
- Be a vital part of our small, enthusiastic, congenial staff.
- Help gain media attention for important issues facing working families in Ohio.
- Help us interact with policy makers.
We accept interns for the following terms:
- Spring (January – May)
- Summer (June – August)
- Fall (September – December)
Please email your résumé with a letter of interest and 4-7 page writing sample.
For Columbus: to Kalitha Williams at KWilliams@policymattersohio.org.
It is recommended that applications for the summer be submitted by mid-March. Materials will be accepted until the program is full.